Cinnamon rolls or sugar rolls, What's there in a name?

And......to banish the vacation blues, I embarked onto making 'Cinnamon Rolls' yesterday. The whole prospect was looming inside my head since, almost a week. So, I just sprang up from my seat and decided "I have to do this". You know the most amusing part of the entire thing? I started making cinnamon rolls only to discover later that there wasn't any cinnamon powder left in the pantry! But I had to fill the rolls with something so, I stuffed them with brown sugar only! And viola, I got cinnamon rolls without cinnamon which technically should be called 'Sugar Rolls'. I wasn't sure how well the rolls would turn up when I put them in the oven but once they started rising, I knew those rolls are going to be awesome and yes, they were amazingly delicious.

These can be called perfect for Easter by shaping the dough into bunnies. By the way, A happy Easter to all you guys. Below is my recipe for Cinnamon rolls, oops should I say 'Sugar Rolls'? Ah, The great Shakespeare has said "What's there in a name".

The dough, ready to be rested


Dough filled with brown sugar and shaped. 


Left them in oven for a bit longer. Although it didn't affect the taste, the crust turned chewier!

Sugar Rolls

Ingredients:
31/2-4 cups All-purpose Flour
3/4 cup Warm Milk
1/2 cup Warm Water
3tsp Dry Active Yeast
1/3 cup + 1tsp Sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Oil

Note: I 1/4th this recipe and it resulted in 5 rolls of medium size.

Procedure:
  1. Fill a bowl with 1/2 cup water and stir in 1tsp sugar. After the sugar dissolves completely in the warm water add in yeast and mix till the yeast dissolves.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, sift all-purpose flour and add in 1/3cup sugar, 3/4tsp salt and oil.
  3. Now, in the dry mixture add in the yeast and warm milk.
  4. Combine everything and knead into a soft, elastic, but a bit sticky dough.
  5. Let the dough rest for about 5-6 hours (or overnight) in an oiled bowl covered with a wet cloth.
  6. After the rest, the dough will double in size (this depends upon the efficiency of the yeast you use) so now, you need to punch it down i.e. knead it once again for couple of minutes.
  7. Spread the dough into a rectangle and fill it with the stuffing you are using. In my case, it was brown sugar.
  8. Preheat the oven to 175oC and bake the rolls for about 18-25mins or until done.
  9. After the rolls are done, you can either go the traditional way and drizzle icing over it or have it as it is (Ha, I didn't get a chance to use the icing, they were gone too fast!)
Source: Adapted from this recipe





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Untold Story

Review: Himalaya Acne-n-Pimple Cream

Chapter 2: Such A Long Journey