Book review- Ah! Poetry

Okay, to be straight-forward I discovered how simply a poem expresses intense feelings in a condensed form! Being clueless about the modern Indian poetry scene, I picked up Ah! Poetry, hoping to get a good exposure to a new found interest i.e. poetry. Ah! Poetry is a book composed of pearls by different poets belonging to different races of life, but united by the passion of doing poetry. Rarely do you come across a book of poetry by amateur poets! 

Comprising over 170 poems, each page brings to you a different saga, re-invoking lost emotions, as if taking you back to that phase of your life and stirring within you a new zest. Most of the poems are loosely based upon and around the concept of love, which in my opinion is severely 'Bollywood-ish" and this is what I think of as a drawback. But again, there are poems on heart-touching and humanity conjuring topics too, for instance the one on 26/11 terrorist's attack on Mumbai named "Yesterday, you shot my Myna dead". I vividly remember the state of we Mumbaikars during that misery. Then there are poems which you feel are based on your life. There is a poem named "School starts" which identifies with my present situation!

I told you before, love is a subject I prefer avoiding and as many poems in this book dwell on the topic of this very area, it's a drawback for me. Still, there is this very poem named "Unveil me" which carved itself a position. Plus, as there are numerous poets, each one has their own say and feeling about 'Love'. Hence, it becomes interesting to know love from each once perspective.

One more factor which came of as a turn-off for me is; that the arrangement of poetry. Yes, its like on one page a poem related to happiness is placed and then on another one expressing sufferings. The sudden change in the setting does not go too well with me!

To be frank, most of the poets are immature and this can be a hitch for many hardcore poetry critics. Also, there isn't proper punctuation and SMS lingo used in certain poems can be a flaw for most. But variety is a great bonus; you have different poets, from varied generations present their perspective in the form of poetry that too poems on topic ranging from phases of life to emotions to social issues.

Overall I give this book a generous 3.5/5 because; you rarely come across a book which has poems from budding authors with such a great matter. 

(This review is a part of the Book Reviews Program at BlogAdda.com. Participate now to get free books! )

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for your review about our Book :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Himalaya Acne-n-Pimple Cream

An Untold Story

Chapter 2: Such A Long Journey