Mumbai, oops! Bombay of the 1920s



Mumbai, the financial capital of India is famous all over due to it's fast paced life and chalta-hai (In English, chalta-hai means it's okay) attitude. Okay, I was just trying to figure out more about my city, Mumbai and how would I introduce my quirky yet lovely city to someone who is new here, I coincidentally bumped into this Rare Gem. This video called "Gateway of India" produced and narrated by James A. Fitzpatrick, a Britisher, exploring Mumbai was shot way back in 1920, when Mumbai was Bombay!

Being lived in Mumbai since birth, I pride myself in being called a Mumbaikar and sharing this old documentary on my city comes naturally to me. Although Mumbai is no more Bombay and has developed tremendously since, 1920, there is a quintessential charm in this video that makes you acquaint with this city and at the same time gives you a glimpse of life in this City of seven islands during 1920s, which is quiet in contrast to today's Mumbai in term of cultural diversity. In short, this documentary introduces you to the epitome of my city's elegance.

Being a history-buff myself, after carefully assimilating each scene of this video, I can pridefully boast that the British Bombay turned out to be almost same as I pictured it to be (except the Elephants)! Reading the comments posted below this video on YouTube, I even faced the fact that 'Bandra', now termed as 'The Queen of the western suburbs' and a hot-spot in Mumbai was 'a village' during British rule! I guess, I spilled a lot of beans? Anyways, I'd limit my talks here and let you soak-up 1920's Bombay.

P.S. I love the way this Briton pronounces "Bombay".
P.P.S. I really pity people who haven't visited Mumbai, India and still feels that India is all about Elephants and other animals. Guys, all I'd recommend is; do get a reality check.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Untold Story

Review: Himalaya Acne-n-Pimple Cream

Chapter 2: Such A Long Journey